View Larger Map
A) Chennai, India: July 15
Our flights arrive at Chennai, India early, early morning!
B) Vellore, India: July 16 - July 23
We will be volunteering at the Christian Medical College Hospital, a 2,500-bed tertiary care hospital. The 9 of us will see patients at the following CMC clinics:
- Community Health and Development Clinic (July 18)
- Low Cost Effective Care Unit (July 19)
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (July 19)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (July 20)
- Surgery (July 21)
- Endocrinology (July 21)
- Internal Medicine (July 22)
- Neurology (July 22)
- Dermatology (July 23)
C) Gudalur, India: July 24 - July 31
We will be volunteering and learning about tribal medicine at the Gudalur Adivasi Hospital, a small community hospital that serves the tribal populations in the area.
- We will help train tribes how to perform simple clinical examinations in their villages, including listening to heart and chest sounds with a stethoscope, how to use an otoscope, and how to use a glucometer.
D) Bangalore, India: August 1 - August 3
We will be volunteering at Narayana Hrudalaya Hospital, a 1,000-bed cardiothoracic specialty hospital.
- According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, NH performed the largest number of pediatric cardiac surgeries in the world (2777 surgeries in 2008) with Harvard University’s Boston Childrens’ Hospital a distant second (1026 surgeries in 2008).
E) Jamkhed, India: August 4 - August 10
At this point, Team India will split into two groups. Four of the nine students will stay in Bangalore to further test the medical devices. The remaining five will travel to Jamkhed, a remote and rural area in India currently undergoing the Comprehensive Rural Health Project.
- The Comprehensive Rural Health Project is a large public health project aimed to empower families and communities in Jamkhed to improve their access to health care and their freedom from hunger, violence, and poverty.
F) Mumbai, India: August 11
Flight departures. Back to the USA!
To learn more about the hospitals and clinics, click here.